Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:56:12 -0600
I usually don't post to the FML, preferring to be a lurker.  I guess I just
need to ramble about my baby Missie.  Missie is my beautiful cream colored
ferret, deaf and so full of energy she wears me out just watching her.  I
call her my demon child because she is the one most likely to get into
trouble, even where you think there is none.

Missie has been showing signs of adrenal for a few months now.  We just had
my mother in law pass away in December and we were in the process of buying
a house, so I waited.  She never slowed down and never appeared to be
having problems, except for going bald.  Missie had surgery last Thursday,
the 15th.  She was able to come home on the 16th, the vet said she doesn't
usually see a ferret bounce back so quickly.  I kept her separated from
her cagemates for a couple of days, and she seemed sore but almost back
to normal.  She was eating and pooping and exploring our new home.  On
Wednesday of this week during playtime she was not herself.  She would lay
down and just stare.  She didn't have any energy and it didn't appear her
or her cagemates had eaten much the night/day before.  I put her in the
sick cage Wednesday night and Thursday morning she had not touched the
food, and had one poop about the size of a small grape, very black.  I knew
my girl was in trouble.  Off to the vet we went and after talking to the
vet she thought the stress of the move and surgery she might have ulcers.
She kept her to give her sub-q fluids and start her on amoxi.  I called
today, my little demon child probably will not make it.  She seems to have
suffered a stroke or some sort of seizure.  They could not find a vein to
put an IV in, they had to do it in the bone?  The vet is very worried and
didn't sound encouraging.

I am scared, and feeling guilty.  I should have put the surgery off a bit
longer to let her get used to the new house.  Our routine has been upset
since we moved in 3 weeks ago, irregular schedule, etc.  I guess I have a
really hard time asking for help from anyone, but am asking for prayers for
my baby so that she may come home to us and her brothers again.  She is
only 3 years old and I know we should have a few more years of her teaching
us what needs ferretproofing.

My heart goes out to those who have lost babies and are dealing with sick
ones currently.

Brenda P