From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 02:05:54 -0600
It started out like any other day, but slower.  My lupus was acting up
due to the storm fronts moving through and I felt guilty since I had
promised Misha a trip to the lake.

Misha loves walking on his harness, and is very calm about it all.  He
took to it right away and being a bright, inquisitive boy it was a
perfect match for him.

Stumbling around trying to chase the fog from my brain with half a
glass of Coke, I hitched Misha up in his purple harness for a short but
hopefully enjoyable mini-adventure on my balcony.  I use the harness
out there simply because I don't want him nose diving off the side.

Did I mention my patio door has a built in security bar that drops into
place when you shut it?  Can you guess where this is going?

Out we trot, Misha looking handsome in his harness and lead and me
looking bedraggled with unkempt hair and my nighty.  Here is where the
cat comes into the story.

I live with a wonderful cat, a beautiful chocolate point Siamese boy
named Connor.  Connor is very attached to me.  And he loves going onto
the balcony.  However he makes me nervous because he loves to lean way
way out and look down.  I fear he will jump just to see what it is like.
He only has two brain cells and they don't fire at the same time.

So of course he comes trotting up and yodeling at the top of his lungs
when he hears the patio door open.  I don't want to fuss with him, not
having Misha to watch also.

Remember the afore mentioned security bar?  Yep, you guessed it.  I shut
the patio door to keep Connor in.

Unfortunately, it also kept me and Misha out.

I stand around for 15 minutes or so, periodically banging on door hoping
to dislodge the bar.  Can we say unrealistic?  I speculate how much force
it will take to break the glass.

Finally someone walks by.  I yell, He gets his wife, who comes over
with her cell phone.  No I can't call the manager, because while the
apartments allow caged animals, and I have paid a pet deposit on the
cat, I am unsure about the status of the ferrets.

So she calls my friends with the key.  After a rather humorous phone call
involving hard of hearing friend, woman who she can't understand, and
then my other friend, the key is on the way.  Did I mention he lives
over half an hour from me, more with current construction?

So I plant my butt on the balcony, amazed that suddenly there are all
kinds of folks wondering by.  Misha is enjoying the sun, and wonder of
wonders, decided to be a lap ferret.  He NEVER does that.  I think he
must have felt sorry for me.

Well, until he decided to go in and started scratching at the door.  He
was rather upset when I didn't open it immediately at his command.  I
got the stink eye.

Friend finally shows up, can't unlock the door.  Goes to find maintenance
man who figures out he is using the wrong key.  Friend then has to
unlatch the security chain from inside the door, walk upstairs and undo
the security bar on patio door.  Did I mention my friend doesn't like
ferrets?

Oh and the cat I was worried about?  He sat and yelled inside the entire
time.  The...entire...time.  I love them meezers, really I do.

Margie and the Madcap Mustelids