From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 15:35:18 CST6CDT
Bob is in California.  His mom is not doing well so he isn't sure when he'll
be back on track.

KDHE Meeting -
The meeting... went.  There were 10 ferret people there of which 8 spoke and
2 observers.  The head of the meeting stated right out front no questions
would be answered and there would be no debate.  So we presented our info
and passed around pictures and left a copy of our speeches for the record.
There was someone there from Wildlife and Parks and Dr. Briggs was there
too.

An interesting development.  I spoke last, of those of us that had prepared
speeches, and when I metioned a case by case evaluation the committee
members and Dr. Briggs wrote it down.  Then when Dr. Briggs spoke she said
that she had spoke to Chuck Rupprecht that morning and they both agreed on
the case by case evaluation.  I will add that to my rabies brochure "Dr.
Charles Rupprecht, CDC and Dr. Deborah Briggs, KSU Rabies Testing
Laboratory, both recommend a case by case evalution in a ferret bite
incident" or something like that.  Dr. Briggs did state to a reporter "I
think KDHE does an excellent job of assessing the situation, I think it's
preliminary to change the law." Dr. Briggs also stated the dept likely would
kill a ferret found roaming outside but killing a family pet who has bitten
someone is pretty unusual.  Hmmm.... I'm sure the McDowells would find this
quite interesting as their pet ferret was sentenced to die in 1994 by KDHE
and Longtail had belonged to the McDowells before he was born (they'd had
his mother).  So what is the truth?  Does KDHE evaluate or just kill ferrets
in a bite incident?  Guess I need to find out.  KDHE is taking letters and
comments until Friday of this week so if you'd like to fax your comments,
please do so.  FAX (913) 291-3775.

I was interviewed this morning on the radio and a couple papers picked up
the story too so we at least got a little coverage.  Better than nothing
at all.

At Home -
Sunday morning Abbey had a Grand Mal seizure - stroke I think.  She is doing
much better but has no motor control.  Bless her heart.  We're working on
rehab now.  She sleeps in a cat donut bed on my bed so I can keep track of
her and if she has any more seizures.  She is doing well, eating good.  I
have to use baby potty pads since she can't control her functions.  She is
alert and tries so I'm hopeful I'll be able to rehabilitate her.  Ruby had
the same thing happen, years ago, and I was able to rehabilitate her 100%.
During the day when I am away I put her in the closet so she will not be
bothered by the others.  I took the litter box out and put papers down in
the corner but she usually soils her blankie then drags herself away from
that area.  No water bowl, just a flat saucer with a little water in it in
case she wants to try to drink.

Zephyr is still not eating much on his own.  (sigh) I scheduled Spiccup for
adrenal surgery next Tuesday.

Hugs to all.  tle