From:
Modern Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:39:53 -0500
>From:    Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
>... I recently picked up the Ferrets USA 1999 Annual.  They had a ferret
>Photo Contest and printed pictures of the winners.  I was very, very upset
>to see that the 1st place winner lived in California and the magazine gave
>the name of the owner, along with the city in California where she lived,
>right under the picture.  I'm hoping that a false name and city were given.
>If not, does anyone have any information as to whether this woman still
>has this ferret?  This would seem to me to be a very, very dangerous thing
>to print in a magazine.  I have heard of ferrets being confiscated in CA
>on less information than a name and city of a "known" ferret owner.  I am
>hopeful that someone can reassure me about this....

Fancy Publications publishes Ferrets USA and Ferrets Magazine.  Both have
repeatedly published names and addresses of California ferret owners.  I
have heard from many of these owners that they are outraged.  Some are
afraid to even confront the publication because they think the publication
might then turn their ferrets in to Fish and Game as retaliation for
complaining.

I'm very concerned about this because many of these people are Modern
Ferret customers and we would never dream of compromising their ferrets.
I know that these people request that their names/addresses be withheld
because I have gotten letters and photos from these people.  And I know
that they are upset about it because they have contacted me - wondering if
they should move in order to protect their ferrets.  (And all of this
because they thought that sharing their love of ferrets with the editor
of a ferret magazine was a safe thing to do.)

Jeanne Carley had written an article for Ferrets USA in which they edited
her words to say that she is a ferret owner.  She apparently did confront
them and they printed a retraction in an issue of Ferrets.

However, the current issue of Ferrets (March/April 1999) has right on page
2 a letter which ends, "As you can see, ferrets are not just pets to my mom -
they're family members."  They then proceed to print the name & California
address.

I discussed this with Jeanne Carley since she has spoken with the editor
over there (my position as the competition has prevented my having any
conversations with their editor).  Apparently the answer is that they just
do not care and will not make any effort to stop this practice (even though
it would be as simple as not typing the person's address).

I have long wondered why ferret owners put up with this and why they trust
information from a magazine that repeatedly demonstrates so little
sensitivity to ferret owners and so little concern for the well-being of
their ferrets.

- Eric

Modern Ferret Magazine - For ferret owners. By ferret owners.
Mary & Eric Shefferman & the Fuzzies: Sabrina, Marshmallow, Knuks, Trixie,
Bosco da Gama, Balthazar, Cauliflower, Koosh, and Gabrielle
http://www.modernferret.com