From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:54:30 -0700
There are SO many ferret owners in this state....they couldn't find them all
if they wanted to!  (All of my local pet stores carry ferret supplies, and
can't keep the shelves stocked. I am always meeting other ferret owners in
those isles! My Petco sells ferret cages left and right...and the vets in Ca
are becoming VERY ferret friendly. They have to I suppose... there are so
many! My vet says he is required by law to treat ferrets, I guess since the
Humane Society has declared them domestic animals. My vet isn't very
knowledgable about these animals yet, but he sure is good to my fuzzies!)

For people in Ca and people moving to Ca...my opinion is if you want a
ferret, you should go for it. For me, thinking of a poor, homeless, abused
fert having wonderful loving parents even in California, far outweighs the
small risk of them possibly being taken. Just don't be stupid, like yours
truly...keep your mouth shut, don't participate in "activities" which may
have the police knocking at your door and don't take em' to the mall! If you
will be renting, keep in mind, most landlords never enter an apartment
without permission. (And by law, they're not allowed to, unless it's an
emergency. You can change the locks.) Then, just don't "mention" your
ferrets. Do we have to be honest about everything?! It should be fine!

I knew a Ca ferret owner, which is how I got turned on to them. For my
birthday I told hubby I HAD to have a ferret. So hubby and myself and the
cat got in the car one weekend, stocked with ferret supplies, (cage was
already made up and waiting at home) drove to Nevada, and there are pet
stores that carry ferrets right over the state line. We found two kits,
brother & sister, that I fell in love with...(hubby was a little slower, as
was the cat) and our new family just drove right back into Ca. I would not
EVER take the chance though, flying a ferret into an ffz. No way. If you're
coming from another state, drive! Could you imagine having to give them up
at the airport?!

Good luck!

Phyllis, Lil' dude, and Boo-Boo