From:
Kerri Sher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:23:01 -0500
Hello ferret-lovers!

I'm new to this list and new to ferret ownership.  My husband and I did a
great deal of research on the little guys before we decided to get them.
This included ferret-sitting for 5 weeks over the summer.  After that we
were totally hooked!  We are now the proud parents of 2 marshal farms
ferrets.  One is a male sable mitt named Loki and the other is a female
silver sable named Gletta.  They are now a little over 4 months old.

I noticed somebody mention that nippy ferrets have "special needs."  We
would love to have some insight on this.  Loki seemed to understand right
away that hands and fingers are for playing with but not biting.  Gletta,
on the other hand, bites like crazy and one time even drew quite a bit of
blood from one of my fingers.  We tried scruffing and saying no, we tried
"time-out" and we have now resorted to giving her a flick on the nose when
she bites.  The only thing she is responding to is the flick on the nose.
I really don't like flicking her and would appreciate if anyone has a
suggestion(s) on how to deal with this.

I have thought about trying to clicker train her.  Has anybody ever tried
to clicker train a ferret?  Did it work?

Dooks,
Kerri and Aaron