From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 07:24:08 -0700
I am in the same camp of not having dogs around ferrets, period. But
so many people are in the other camp, who have perfectly well behaved
dogs, that I can see where Alexandra comes from. I am simply paranoid,
terribly paranoid. While I have never had dogs while owning ferrets,
and I myself will never have a dog around any ferrets....there are some
people who believe that dogs can be trusted. I believe this comes from
anthropomorphizing dogs more than anything else - people just don't
want to admit their dog could hurt another animal. I don't mean
Alexandra in particular nor am I making a judgement on her or saying
that is what she thinks, though.

IMO - if your dog is the only dog, you are much safer off. And with the
person in question having witnessed "pack mentality" before, perhaps a
total separation of dog and ferret is/was warranted.

Mistakes happen. And I can understand that a dog that never bites a
ferret or shows any interest, can seem safe.

However, my attitude is this: if a small child can't be trusted (I mean
the age where they grab things roughly, even older than that, with
their crazy ideas - our vet's office had 8 neurological kittens come
in from a couple who left their small children alone with kittens for
a few minutes - the children proceeded to throw them at the tv screen,
requiring all of them to be euthanized except one) around ferrets -
then what business do we humans have trusting dogs around our ferrets?
Even one split second of confusion or instinct or rough playing can -
and did - cause the death of a ferret.

I hope the owner reconsiders now the hazards of keeping dogs and ferret
near each other, now that it has been twice, regardless of years in
between, and different dogs. But, it is her choice. My sympathies go
out to her and her family though, regardless. Rest in peace, Ping.

Laryssa