From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 10:05:48 -0500
Daysi, this is not a wierd question - in fact, it's a very good one.

I breed ferrets and found this to be a chronic problem.  Occasionally, a
piece of clay litter would stick on a butt and get sucked up inside.  Oh,
how those babies screamed.

So now I use Pine Fresh Pellets - recycled newspaper pellets are ok also.  I
don't recommend using clay litter for ferrets until they are about 12 weeks
old.  I have a litter that is almost 5 weeks old now, they've just started
eating baby food and Marshalls Premium Ferret Diet, and although their eyes
aren't open yet, they have started using the litter pan already.

I have had no problems with any of the pieces getting stuck on butts, and
none of them has had any problems with prolapsed rectums either - which clay
litter can sometimes cause as well - the babies strain trying to get the
clay off and out, causing the rectum to prolapse.

My recommendation for not using clay litter until 12 wks is just that - my
own personal recommendation - others may use clay and not have a problem,
but I prefer to take no chances.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY