From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 16:33:00 CDT
Good News! (I think)
I received a call this morning from Dr. Keith Clark, Chair, NASPHV Committee
Dr. Clark.  He was impressed by the points my letter made and is going
to pass it around the committee at their October meeting.  He also agreed
with many of the points and also felt frustrated with the issue.  I
believe now is the time to act.  Please send letters to Dr. Clark.  Stick
to the facts and try not to be too emotional.  I am willing to assist
anyone in their writing, just let me know and I'll snail mail a packet
of pertinent info.  I'm still compiling veterinarian, and other medical
professionals letters in a booklet form to send to Dr. Clark to share
with the committee.  The more letters the better.  They can be brief or
long, stating recs for evaluations of ferret bite cases, domesticity, pet
status, etc.  Please, pass the word to your veterinarians and medical
doctors to see if they will contribute.  I'll need them by mid-Sept to
create an appealing, factual booklet.  (Dr. Williams and Dr. Brown would
you be willing to write letters?)  This is our chance to do something!
My address is: Ferret Family Services, PO Box 186, Manhattan, KS  66502
Dr. Clarks address is: Dr. Keith A. Clark, Zoonosis Control Division,
Texas Dept of Health, 1100 West 49th, Austin  TX  78756.

About ear mites:  Ear mites are very small but will look like a tiny speck
of lint by the naked eye.  You can invest in an ear scope for about $15
and this will magnify the little critters so you can see them.  You can
also use a magnifying glass on the swab after cleaning ears.  You'll have
to be patient in looking at the swab but if they are there you will see
them with the magnifying glass.  I've gotten to the point where I can
see them (or at least the tiny white speck) on the swab but to be sure
I always use the earscope.

Please don't forget to write to Dr. Clark and pass the word!

Hugs to all!  tle