From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:29:39 -0600
You can always tell the exact moment when a ferret drops off to sleep.
A definite "cloud" of invisible sleepy ferret smell drifts up from that
warm fuzzy body.  This is the smell that marks a sleep spot as a sleep
spot.

One of the most commonly noted early symptoms of insulinoma is increased
sleep time.  With a number of ferrets running around underfoot, you might
not notice one who's taking a longer than usual nap.  But the musky smell
of that ferret's hammock on laundry day is noticeably stronger than other
single ferret hammocks.

After a week the accumulated sleep smell becomes one I find less than
pleasant and bedding gets washed, ignoring the collection of disgusted
little beady eyes watching me change out hammocks.  Sanka will actually
climb into the cage and try to wrestle my fingers away from the clips
attaching the hammock to the cage.

I add a cup of white vinegar to each washload of ferret bedding to aid in
deodorizing.

Ferrets also tend to rub their smell on their toys, plastic tunnel tubes
and plastic bell balls as well as stuffed animal toys.  Most toys can be
tossed into a lingerie laundry bag and washed along with bedding.  The
Super Pet bubble tunnels can go in the dishwasher if the heated drying
cycle is disabled.  Rugs are an open invitation to scrub smells.  Carpet
around water bowls is a napkin that absorbs smell as well as water
dripping from a fuzzy chin.  Carpet around litter boxes is... well...
toilet paper.  (One of several reasons ferrets begin to poop in front or
beside the box instead of in it.) Areas where ferrets squeeze between
furniture and a wall gradually accumulate ferret body odor; upholstery,
walls, etc.  And of course, the cages themselves accumulate odors and
collect deposits of odor bearing shed fur.

To us unsuspecting fuzzy lovers these odors can build up over time and
we don't have a clue until a non-pet owner walks in and wrinkles up
their nose.  I rely on my kids, (who, like all grown kids, don't visit
frequently enough) and close friends to alert me that my routine cleaning
has missed an odor accumulation somewhere.

The sleepy ferret smell is distinctly different from 'whole male' odor.
Whole male odor is usually a symptom of adrenal disease in altered
ferrets.  Female ferrets can emit this odor as well as males.  The whole
male odor is usually more pungent around the ferret's neck and scruff.
This odor is caused by hormonal activity.

Whole ferrets get all hormonal and stinky at the introduction of new
ferrets to the environment.  I don't see (or smell as the case may be) a
substantial increase in body odors when introducing an altered newcomer
into the established environment.

Debi Christy
www.ferrets1st.com