From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:31:34 -0500
Many of you are aware of the hours upon hours of work my mother has
donated to create our line of ferret bedding products. She lives in a
completely different state than our rescue, but she still strives to
help her grandferrets. She has made it possible to keep the rescue
afloat in the lean times and supplements the raffle gleanings and
donations in the good times. Some of you may even recall Mom's struggle
to find a job after her bout with breast cancer and her loss of stamina
afterwards in the initial economic problems beginning in 2008 and
continuing until this year. She has been four years clear of the
cancer.

Beginning in September, Mom began to have flu-like symptoms. Then, she
was diagnosed with bronchitis. To make a very long story a bit more
brief, it didn't go away over these months, but continued to worsen,
but her doctors wouldn't take it seriously. Next was the pneumonia.
There were breathing treatments every few hours. Uncountable categories
of prescriptions have been tried. She can't speak two words without
gasping. Finally, after perhaps the third round of x-rays and second CT
scan with contrast, they found a three-inch mass surrounding her left
bronchial tube. That is the same side she had the breast cancer on, if
you aren't imagining lightning striking again, as we fear. If that
weren't enough, she has literally ripped muscle off her ribs coughing,
and there is now an opening into her chest cavity because one of these
rips is between two ribs.

For the foreseeable future, the Ferrets at Heart store will be closed.
All other website activities will be running, but Mom did the sewing
and shipping. After her biopsy Friday and probable surgery by
Monday,... Please keep my mother in your prayers. She's the only one
I have, and God outdid himself on this one!

If I'm behind on the blog or late with an email or holiday cards,
please forgive me. I am trying to catch up. I admit to being
emotionally overwhelmed. Getting the basics done is all I've been
managing. I have not lost someone near me since a grandparent when I
was a small child, and my mother is my best friend. This stress has
caused me to have another small stroke myself earlier in the week
(Typing with one hand, however temperarily, is slow and I HURT!). I'll
get distracted and forget my meds, but NEVER the ferrets' (Just ask my
husband!). Know that the ferrets are always cared for, no matter how I
am feeling or what happens.

Thanks to anyone who helped us this year who has not received a
thank-you -- doneors, santas, businesses, other rescues, friends, and
everyone who has sent a kind thought our way.

If you pray, her name is Joyce Cabe.

Wishing you the best for the holidays,

Lori of Ferrets at Heart
419-433-6016