From:
"Pamela Freeze" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:14:37 -0400
Hello all,

I am new at this, but just want to share my story. I'm not sure if this
will do anyone any good as many of you are probably more knowledgeable
than I ever will be, but maybe someone can learn from my mistake. My
son and I rescued a ferret 9 years ago. He had been neglected so he
suffered from many initial health problems. However, he had 4 good
years before he came down with adrenal disease and subsequent other
tumors and illnesses. He was almost 6 when I had him put to sleep. I
NEVER wanted to go through that again so I swore I'd never have another
ferret pet. Three years later, I was surfing around and found a web
site for Carolina Ferrets. It is very compelling. I emailed the owner
and she corresponded that none of her ferrets ever got adrenal disease
so far in her experience because she breeds from stock imported from
New Zealand and Holland. That jived with some research I had done that
had theorized one of the causes of adrenal disease was the inbreeding
at the farms. There are other private breeders who have posted similar
claims. I so loved my little ferret that I had never really gotten over
wanting another one. This seemed like a dream come true. So, I bought
one 6 and one 7-week old last year. Needless to say - I have two very
expensive year-old ferrets now from there. I've fed grain-free kibble
with raw meat and pinkies, avoided artificial light when possible and
allowed much outdoor time. One began displaying signs of adrenal
disease at 4 months old according to our vet, but I didn't believe
him. However, he now is displaying very obvious signs of the disease
at one year(wasting, hair loss).

The lesson is obvious - they all get sick here it seems, even expensive
private bred ones. Anyone ever have ferrets that don't get sick? How do
you do it?

Thanks,
Pam