Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:31:21 -0700
Skeeter,

My little Phantom gave up his battle from insulinoma this morning.  He had
gone in for surgery for adrenal last Mon., but we knew he had insulinoma,
so while they were in they took off the tumors in his pancreas.  He did
well in surgery but became diabetic which they hoped would take care of
itself after a few days.  But he had been on steroids for over a year and
the effects must have been too much for his little heart.  He'd gotten the
normal "pred-belly" and seemed to have labored breathing.

He developed a fever Thur.  evening so was put on antibiotics.  That kicked
the fever and Fri.  his b.s.  started coming down.  However, he stayed very
lethargic and didn't really want to eat.  He went home with one of the
ferret experienced techs last night, and she checked on him several times
throught out the night.  About 5:30 this a.m.  she checked him and he was
still in his krinkle sack and hadn't moved, but was still breathing.  By
8 a.m. he was gone.  No suffering, just died in his sleep.  I think he
gave up.  He'd fought with this for 2-1/2 years but was only 6 years old.

Skeeter, would you find Nipper, EZ, Lightning, & Cleo and tell them their
little buddy, Phantom is there and he's brought them all some gummy savers.
He hasn't been able to have any for so long and he's gonna pig out on them
now.  Maybe he'll share with them.

Tell Phantom, I'm so sorry I wasn't with him when he left, I miss him so
much but know he is no longer suffering or in pain.  I was just trying to
help him with this surgery, but guess it wasn't meant to be.

Thank you so much Skeeter, I know you will take care of him and you will
find his buddies that he has missed so much for three years.

mjo and the zoo (Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frodo, Frito,
Pepper, & Caesar and the dogs Garth and Darwin......r.i.p.  PHANTOM,
Nipper, EZ, Lightning, Cleo, & Duke)