From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:37:19 EDT
Re:Ferrets & Photos
>Photos are made up of three layers.  There's the base (paper), the something
>that I can never remember the name of and I don't have my conservation books
>here but which is responsible for creating the image, and the emulsion.  The
>emulsion is the sort of soft gooey part of the photo that sort of holds the
>image to the paper.  In certain types of photographic processes, the
>emulsion was made from egg whites.  Now it's made from a kind of man-made
>gelatin.  What your ferret is doing is munching on the emulsion...

Although I work for Kodak, I have nothing to do with film and therefore
can't give you the gory details on it.  IMHO, although a nibble or two of a
photo *might* not cause any harm to your fuzz-terrors, it wouldn't be wise
to let them eat dine on them.  Quite a variety of chemicals are used in
photography and I don't think they would "do a body good", to steal a line
from a commercial.

Besides the chemical content, I wouldn't want to see the photographic paper
(which I can't imagine breaking down well in anybody's digestive track)
cause a blockage in one of your babies.  As you've seen in other FML's,
intestinal blockages are very real and very life-threatening problems to
ferrets.  It's best to avoid that worry all together and keep your photos
out of our ferret's reach.

Re: How can I take photographs of my kit?
I assume you are asking how to get pictures of your kit into electronic form
to use on a web page or your newspaper.  Essentially there is two ways - 1.)
take a picture of your kit, get it developed, and use a scanner to digitize
the picture or 2.) get a digital camera and take pictures of your kit.  We
have used both methods to create the pictures used on our ferret web page
(http://www.servtech.com/public/greenman/ferrets.html).  You can see that
both methods render reasonably high quality images.

If you are interested in creating digital images often, I would suggest you
look into getting a scanner or digital camera.  They both come in a wide
range of qualities and prices - something should be able to suit your needs.
If you don't have the extra money or this is a one time need, see if there
is someone that will let you borrow or use their camera or scanner.  Good
luck!!

-kim, squirt (you have my permission to take a photo of my royal
 personage.), pippi (aim - focus - clic-*ZOOM!*-k  - pippi dodging out
 of a picture), atlas (stares at the camera), and 'jinx (who always poses)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.