From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:57:34 -0500
About all the noise in relation to saying thank you: When I was the
publicity director of a small state science charity I managed to get more
publicity, not only than the charity had gotten before, but also than many
colleges here could get.  In fact, one of them forced a member of their
publicity staff to sign onto my committee to learn how I did it.  (She was
upfront about it, and never did put any time into our efforts.) Part of it
was designing releases to match the concerns of specific papers and
stations, and other tricks, but most of it was that EACH time we got ANY
exposure I sent a little thank you note (Sometimes I only had time to write
a short sentence such as "Thanks so much for doing this for the kids of New
Jersey; you help them more than you know!" and signing my first name.  The
result was that places which did not express gratitude would get a few
column inches here and there while the charity I worked with (on a volunteer
basis) would get several pages regularly, and quite often would receive some
front page space.

Oh, if you are wondering what happened to the woman: She thought the notes
took too much time and did not last long at the college, which instead asked
me to write a short description of how I got so much coverage.  Yes, I DID
donate my time and let them know my techniques (Which were nothing fancy
compared to what pros like Katie use.) You KNOW I mentioned saying thank you
MANY times.  Having the curtesy to express gratitude gives those who are
helping you a warm feeling about their work or donation and it keeps you
pleasantly in their minds for when they have a bit of space, time, or money
to spare.  You don't need to be fancy, just considerate.

Sukie