Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 05:03:20 -0400
re. : Caroline Worral;  nail clipping questions
re.:Jonathan Chrisawn; Questions and Answers

Caroline,
        Nail clipping doesn't just mean you and your furniture are less
apt to be scratched up.  Clipping also means Sarah is less apt to rip a
nail off, or have it splinter.  I've seen both happen with dogs, and
don't see why it wouldn't happen with ferrets.  I've also seen a dog
have its nails get so long they curled back around and started growing
into it's paw ( this was a back claw higher up on the leg that didn't
bet worn down during walks)!  It seems like a small bother to prevent
the possible pain.

Jonathan,
        Ferrets should have a continual supply of food available.  While
they can thrive with only an hour or two out of the cage per day, they
need to eat frequently.  If it's not practical to leave a large bowl
available, or the three of them empty it more often than your schedule
permits you to fill it, I've seen "all day" feeders that gravity feed a
tray from a plastic container.  I believe they are available in the dog
section of pet stores.  And if you need to educate your local vet,
check ferret central on the web.  In addition to info on the web, there
is a list of medical reference material to recommend to vets.

                        Steve