From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 12:20:18 -0700
I know it's hard to look at your fuzzies in their cage & know they're only
going to get out for a few minutes a day while your frantic world is
spinning, but DON'T beat yourself up about it.

Ferrets adapt very well to slow environmental changes.  Even to having
less & less playtime out of their cage.  Even if that playtime becomes a
few minutes every other day.  Of course, we'd all like to see them out
for a couple of several hour play times a day, but in real life that's
just not always possible.

The most important thing in their lives is you.

Even if it's only your smell as you pass by their cage to say a quick "Hi,
sweetie" on your way to take care of your family.  That's a far, far better
thing than having to adjust to a totally new environment with all new
smells... without yours.

Maybe there will be one day a week when you can actually sit down on the
floor to play with them, maybe it'll be only one day every other week.
Believe me, that's OK with them... it's YOU... not some stranger that
doesn't know the right place to scratch or tickle.

Keep them if at all possible.  They'd much, much rather have a three-day
old litter box and you than a daily fresh box without you.

Ignore the people who flame you for neglect or lack of commitment and don't
let your fuzzies go just because you feel guilty.  You'd be doing them a
huge misservice.

Everything changes with time.  Take care of your family.  Your fuzzies will
still love you.

Good Luck
Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home