From:
Jeffrey C Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 08:50:35 EST
[stuff deleted for brevity]
> guidance/advice, it would be deeply appreciated.  Also, if everyone decides
> this to be a good idea, it'll take the support of each and every person here
> to gain acceptance of a ferret newsgroup.
>
> In the next week or so I'll see if the support is there and if it truly
> worth spending the time to write a proposal.  If support/interest is evident
> then I'll post another message requesting ideas/information for the
> proposal.  Anyone have any suggestions or objections????

> Regards... Russ Hazzon                [log in to unmask]

Russ, while your volunteering is admirable, can I say:  please don't?
The FML seems to go over the idea of a rec.pets.ferrets more than once
a year, and the overriding opinions are that:

1) A newsgroup just lends itself to spamming/flamewars/flamebaiters.  I
   think most FMLers like this little community as it is.
2) A lot of FMLers don't have Usenet access, and couldn't participate.
3) If the group is gatewayed to a mailing list, we would still have the
   problem I mentioned in #1.

Personally, I wouldn't subscribe to a rec.pets.ferrets, nor to a mailing
list gatewayed with a newsgroup.  Others opinions may vary.

--
Jeff Jones                      [log in to unmask]               Me?  I don't speak
eon corporation         (703) 715-8958                    for eon, now, do I?