Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:32:11 -0800
My little gang has ganged up on me!  I added 3 new ferrets in late
October to my 5.  They had previously been in the same business so they
get along great.  Now, they are revolting against me.  6 of the 8 decided
they didn't remember what they potty boxes (5 litter boxes) were for.  (I
clean the boxes daily and scoop messes in between.) So I separated them
out.  Put the 6 rebels in the cage except for a few hours of play.  They
used the litter pans in there just fine.  Then, one by one I would put
them in the bathroom, with me, and wait until they used the potty box,
gave them a treat, then I would let them out to play.  After they did
this for 3 days they "earned" their freedom and were allowed to go back
to free roam.

That worked great for 4 of the 6.  Now the last two rebels just will not
cooperate.  As long as they are caged, no problems.  But, they won't use
the litter pan when confined to the bathroom or when let out to play.
When they are out to play and they potty on the floor I put them in their
cage immediately.  If I get there on time I let them finish in the potty
box then they can still stay out and play.  If they potty all the way
then in the cage they go.  The others I gave treats to when they went in
the potty box and they caught on pretty quick.  These last two are making
me crazy.  No treats or praise or cage time seems to get it across they
have to use the potty box when out of the cage.

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.  I feel so guilty having them
in the cage most of the time.  I never have hit or yelled or anything
like that at them but I am pulling my hair out.  One is a girl about 1.5
years and the other is a big boy about 2.5 years.  No health problems
other than pure stubbornness!

Please help!

Thanks,
Mary Jo

PS- The 2 remaining rebels not using the potty boxes are from the 3 that
I added in late October, not from my original group of 5.  Thanks!