From:
the return of weezilarchy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:13:33 -0800
yahoo groups, and consequently the FHL and the FHL archive, would just
*have* to be down this weekend.  if those of you whose addresses i ha and
therefore was able to contact directly can pass this on to any vets you
have addesses for, i woud be *INCREDIBLY* grateful.

early afternoon today (saturday), i noticed that Sid, my six-year-old
albino male, had a notably bloated abdomen.  he's not his usual kissy
self, either, and his toe pads seem a little pinker than usual.  he's
panting a bit, though that may be due to the room being a bit warm today--
it's not affecting the others so badly, though.  i also don't think it's
the heat because he seems to want nothing to do with the frozen juice
bottle in the room with them.

his fur is in great condition, teeth are good, and other than the very
occasional mast cell tumor, he's been the picture of health up until now.

i took him to the mobile vet--the only one that i know of who was
available this afternoon--according to him, his abdomen is *not*
fluid-filled, but his spleen is very enlarged.  his bladder is not full,
nor is his intestine.  he gave an antibiotic shot in hopes that the
spleen is trying to fight an infection that we can't see, but other than
that, i'm at a loss until monday morning, when i can get him in to my
regular clinic.  the mobile vet wasn't comfortable taking blood without
anesthesia, so it'll be monday before i can get blood pulled for a
work-up.

so, two questions.  what am i likely dealing with here, and what, if
anything, can i do between now and monday (other than set up the
isolation cage and monitor his food/water intake and waste output)?

thanks for any answers you can give or lead me to.  i lost my oldest and
most beloved rat last night, i'm not going to lose another friend this
weekend if i can help it.

-kat-

=====
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_   ferrets may nip, but people just suck.