From:
"H. R. Buckley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:01:47 -0400
Dr. Williams asked if anyone was using oral flee control for fuzzies.
We are not, but we use a different (I think) medication for our cats
and dog than the one he mentioned. We use Proban(cythioate). If I
remember correctly it makes the pet's blood toxic to the flee (and
possably other biting insects). It does not prevent bites, or protect
from other effects of the bite. We do find that any flees that get to
our fuzzies are either dead, or not very active. We also do not seem
to need to bathe/spray/bomb as often (which reduces the risk of
toxic reactions). The cats and dog also have flee collars.

We have not asked about using Proban on the fuzzies, but I don't
think it would be advisable. The dosage is administered twice weekly:
    For the 30mg tablet: 3.3 mg/kg (1 tab for 9 kg)
    For the liquid (1.6%) 1 ml/4.5kg

With ferrets ranging from .5 to 1.5 kg the dose would be a few drops,
or a few crumbs. The error rate in dosage could be significant, and
dangerous.

I also wonder if this would be of any benefit to ferrets that are kept in
doors.  This product is not a complete solution, but it is an effective
and economical aid when there are cats or dogs that might bring flees
inside.

Richard Margaret,
Smokey, Pixie, Boots, and Ping.