From:
"K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:32:21 +0100
Today Brevard Ferret Lover's Rescue received confirmation that a ferret in
North Brevard County has died of rabies.  The ferret had not been vaccinated
for the past three years and was housed outside.  Also, the ferret has
escaped and later returned.

The ferret was asymptomatic prior to death and died naturally 2 weeks after
returning.  The ferret was lethargic, displaying only intermittent bouts of
aggression.  The caretakers took the ferret to the vet thinking that the
ferret had been stepped on by a horse since it was affected with
hind-quarter paralysis and the caretakers were advised that since the ferret
had been outside, the ferret could have been exposed to rabies and should be
tested.

Bit before the ferret could be killed and tested, it died.  The caretakers
say the ferret spent most of it's time licking itself with occasional
unprovoked snapping.  In addition, facial twitching was noticed.

The ferret bit two people and bite marks were noted on a second ferret.  The
second ferret was killed and tested but the results will not be back from
Jacksonville until Tuesday, July 18.  As far as we know, the two people who
were bitten have begun the rabies shot series.

Bobby Joe Collins of the University of Florida advised Marie Wallace, BFLR's
Director of Public Awareness, that he requested the variant be researched.
I will post the results when we receive them.  For those who would like more
detailed information of this incident, let me know.

Also, in speaking with the owner, she told BFLR that she didn't have her
ferrets vaccinated because she had been advised that it wasn't necessary and
wasn't required.  She was out of town at the time this all occurred and is
quite upset over the deaths of her two ferrets.

IMHO, I hope that our government officials will now listen to us as BFLR
asked them to legislate manditory vaccinations and licensing for ferrets
months ago.  (I'll be posting more information on that legal battle just as
soon as we have the web site up and running later this month.)

Happy ferreting and for heaven's sake, keep those ferrets vaccinated!

Susie