From:
Karen McCabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:59:03 -0400
I've always been opposed to animals being used in research. I'm no "tree
hugger" but it does bother me to think of animals being used in such a
way.  As an animal lover, I believe animals should be cherished, not
experimented on.  Being a ferret lover, the thought of ferrets being
used in research and then, in most instances, euthanized when no longer
"useful", tears my heart out.  Recently I've learned that the Department
of Defense - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences has
been looking into surrendering ferrets used in their research programs to
shelters rather than euthanizing them.  I understand that these ferrets
will all be spayed/neutered, descented, fully vaccinated, and ADV tested
before being turned over, thus taking some of the burden off the
shelters.  I understand a number of shelters in the MD and DC area are
being considered.  This warms my heart.  While I still do not feel good
about ferrets (or any animals) being used in research I am thrilled to
know that at least some will now have a chance at having a good life in
a loving home when done with, rather than the usual alternative.

Kudos to all shelters being considered for this program!  Thank you all
for all that you do and best of luck to you all!

Karen McCabe
http://www.cinnamonsprite.net