From:
Barbara Hann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:20:12 -0500
I've given some thought to my response, this may not be ferret related, but
I read the posts on this list.  I am a disabled person who uses a service
animal (an Australian Shepherd named Bear).  There are many different
animals that are trained for service work, I've even heard of ferrets
being trained for service work!

There would be nothing that would please me more than to put a couple of
my fuzzies in Bear's backpack for a road trip.  I know they would love it!
Unfortunately, the ADA would not recognize their presence as "service
animals" because they haven't received the extensive training required to
be a service animal.  Service animals provide assistance to the hearing
impaired, physically disabled, seizure alert, and help with
mental/emotional impairments to name a few, but you must be disabled under
the ADA.

There are laws prohibiting people from passing their beloved pets off as
service animals just to enjoy their company.  Pets not trained to assist
disabled people can make access for those of us who use a trained service
animal go from very difficult to next to impossible.  I truly wish pets
were permitted more places, outings would be so much more fun!

Respectfully,
Barbara Hann & Bear & the fuzzy wuzzys

[Moderator's note: In view of the recent thread, yes, it is related.
Thanks for the note.  BIG]