From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:08:41 -0400
constant tight circles:  See 1

larger circles only when nervous: See 2

1. It was extremely cool to read which portion of the brain would
involved, but it would not be a stroke.

Dr. Bruce Williams has emphasized that it is important with a ferret
who is moving in constant circles that the technical (pathology)
difference between a stroke and a thrombosis be remembered. The reason
I recall that so well is that I think the first time he explained the
difference was in the FML with one of ours (who repeatedly threw clots
due to a complicated form of cardiomyopathy and finally did throw one
to the brain that caused tight circling -- which is upsetting to see --
but also threw a much more serious one to a kidney and would not have
survived the surgery for that when it did not dissolve). That
explanation with both things discussed and the difference between them
might have been before the archives, though. In pathology a stroke is
technically caused by a dislodged piece of plaque which damages a brain
blood vessel, but ferrets have not been documented with that. Ferrets
DO throw clots, though, and that's a thrombosis (and at times a clot
will land in the brain blood vessel and block it). I don't have time
for a thorough search of both archives but you can begin with things
like this and then also seek ones on thrown clots (thrombosis):

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG11338

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG3833

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG2176
>Interesting - ferrets do not have strokes - strokes are a peculiarly
>human disease which is associated with atherosclerosis - a disease
>yet to be diagnosed in ferrets.

and then you can go and do more searching if needed or desired.

The reason it is important to know that is because often the reason
that the ferret threw the clot in the first place can be treated for
a while!

There is one prominent cause and few other possible causes. Heart
disease is by far the most common cause (so a heart ultrasound makes
sense when symptoms that can be caused by a thrown clot appear), but
other less common causes can be kidney disease, lymphoma, etc. The
symptoms depend on the location where the clot lands, and ones to the
brain do at times -- but not always -- heal given a long enough time
(and we have personally had one whose clot was due to kidney disease
who did recover from a very serious brain clot which had him in a coma
with him finally having minimal permanent damage after some weeks of
home PT). Whether a ferret who throws a clot is likely to throw a
second one depends on several factors including cause, how well the
cause is being treated, activity levels which are possible, and luck.

There are other neurological diseases in ferrets which can cause such
behavior, such as ADV. I've actually see a video of a ferret with ADV
moving in tight circles, so central nervous system diseases seen in
ferrets also have to be considered. BTW, that includes toxoplasmosis
but they can not pass that disease along (only cats do).

2. Larger circles only when nervous can be a repetitive behavior from
too constant and too long caging in a too small a cage. There is a
range of such cage behaviors and circling is among the most common
ones. Given the opportunity many break that habit but not all do, so
you can help break it by often lifting up the circling ferret to
distract it, then perhaps leading it somewhere with a treat before
giving the treat.

There are probably other possible behavioral causes including personal
quirks including one in which the circling just is comforting when
under stress.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/