Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 22:47:53 -0400
Well, Beckett and I went to the new vet yesterday about B's hair loss (a strip
about an inch wide from her forelegs to her tail, on her belly only).  This
symptom is also accompanied by occasional, quickly appearing/disappearing red
blotches about the diameter of a pencil eraser, in the hairless area.  She
shows no other adrenal disease symptoms.  The vet said that it *may* be
adrenal, but she wants to do a biopsy of the red blotches first to rule out
some other type of infection. She thinks that Beckett may be removing the hair
herself by biting or scratching.
...So...  here are my questions: (1) is this a reasonable course of action,
in our net vet's view? (2) does such a possibility of alternate hair loss
seem probable?
This vet has obviously handled ferrets before, but I had expected a
confirmation of my Adrenal disease expectations, and this biopsy thing kind
of threw me.  I would really appreciate the input of Dr.  Williams, and
anyone else who has gone this route before.  The vet also talked about the
possibility of ultrasound on the adrenal if the biopsy is negative; this
seems strange to me, seeing as I have heard a lot about exploratory
surgery.  Please help me in my worry and confusion, Dr.  Williams!  Is it
possible for me to give her your number for consultation, or is that a
no-no?  Thanks to all, in advance, for your replies!
--- Ross, Beckett and her worried sable-sister Gerty.