From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 10:42:09 -0600
Dr. Williams -- I wasn't the one who asked about scruffing ferrets for
injections, but that's OK; it's good information.

I took Espie to the vet as you suggested for a checkup and to check her
spleen. The vet thought he could feel her spleen and wanted to do an X-ray.
So we took two X-rays and the spleen looked normal, except she had eaten
a lot of food and this had pushed her spleen a little over to one side.

She's due for bloodwork anyway in about October.

Now I'm wondering if I should do a urinalysis on her because she
urinated once last night and then about an hour later, doo-dooed and
urinated. Is that too much urination? One of my ferrets has been
urinating lately without defecating at the same time, but I wasn't sure
who it was.

Espie's X-rays also showed fatty deposits in her tummy (probably causing
the pear-shaped look). The last time she was at the vet several months
ago, she weighed 1.5 pounds; now she weighs 1.9 pounds. The vet says if
she doesn't stop gaining weight, I'll have to put her on a diet. I don't
know how to do this without starving one of the other four -- especially
Frankie; she's a lightweight. They lose weight so quickly if they get
ill, I always thought it was a good idea for them to weigh a few extra
ounces. Is that wrong?

Linda