From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:27:06 -0400
Now we already KNEW that Telemna is good at sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJ-WvVaRnE

and there was an annoying whistle in the basement for the last two
days, but the sound was reflecting a lot so the source could not be
found. (In fact, the condo handyman who checked the new smoke alarm
to make sure that its capacitor was functioning offered to drill some
holes in the basement ceiling to try to locate it, and I even wound
up with my ear to our wonderful downstair neighbor's door while he
was away to see if it was from there (in which case I know who has
his spare key so she and i would have tended to it as we did during
a problem in the past year). None of us could find the source.

Then Steve figured that Telemna has the best ears in the family and he
took her downstairs. She did NOT want to be near that sound and tried
to get away so he walked through the room with her asking, "Where is
it?" Our ferrets are pretty used to the word "where" and after a little
bit she understood what he was asking and pointed him to one of our
pieces of exercise equipment, a stepper we've been using for about 15
years. That was it. The battery was failing but so was the low battery
alert sound, so it instead created a horrid constant, high pitched
whistle. When Steve pulled out the battery and it stopped Telemna
rewarded him with many huge kisses. Then he brought her back upstairs
for a treat.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/