From:
"Lindy N. Garner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:05:56 -0600
Rick Beveridge
I introduced my munchkin to my 3 cats when the cats where about 7 years
old and very set in their ways and used to getting all of our attention.
One of them plays with the ferrets, but the other two I have to keep a
close eye on them.  One cat seems afraid of them if they get to close to
him and he will hiss and swat with his claws out, the third one pretty
much ignores them, however she is the one that after having the ferret
for only a week I thought she had scratched her eye out.  Luckily it was
just a scratch just above the eye causing the blood droplet to cover the
ferret's eye, making me think the eye was gone.  Anyway, You will have to
just try the introduction and see how it goes.  I now have two ferrets
and they both learned (the smell I guess) to avoid the two "ornery"
cats.  They will beline across the floor toward them and just before they
get within swiping reach they will make a big detour around the cats.  Your
daughter's cat also may be young enough to finish "growing up" with your
ferrets for them to become best buddies.  I think the important thing is
to talk to the cat and pet it while the ferret walks up to it and
sniffs.  If you get nervous sounding or quickly pick up the cat or ferret
both will associate the relationship as being a nervous bad thing.  Good
luck and I loved the comment about ferrets over daughter!:)
Good luck
Lindy (would everybody just please calm down and get along this morning)
Lisa (woe, you can't trust that psycho calico)
Idgie (why do these cats hate me, my first owner's cats let me crawl all
over and under them)
Aldo (ooh, get away from me)
Katie (I am queen psycho calico and noone can touch me, much less pick me
up because I am a big pig
Josh (come here ya little suckers I'll chase ya, and why do you guys get
all the great toy sacks and boxes)
Shannon (Lindy, we have too many pets in this house I'm going outside
with the dog)
Sammy (yippee, here comes dad again to take me for a walk, but if he
would just let me in the house I could take care of his complaint-yum!)