From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 09:46:16 -0500
Michelle,

From what I've heard, deaf ferrets are not that uncommon and by itself poses
few problems for the ferret of owner.  The suggestion I'd make is not to
startle her when you pick her up.  If you approach from the back and just
pick her up, she may think that some huge preditor has attacked and it will
fight back.  If possible, approach from the front; reach slowly so that
you're sure she has seen and recognized you (remember they are very
nearsighted).  You might slap the floor with your hand so that she'll feel
the vibration, if you have to approach from some other direction.  She'll
probably turn around to see what's going on.

The nipping may decrease just from the recognitions aspect, but don't allow
any hard nip to pass, if you're sure she knew it was you, or she doesn't stop
instantly on recognizing you.  Scruff her behind the neck and shake her back
and forth (firmly but don't overdo and give her whiplash <G>).  Then pet and
scratch her.  Hold her to let her know you still love her.  Give her a drop
or two of ferritone on you hand.  If you're consistant, it shouldn't toake
too long.

Dick Bossart