From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:11:03 -0500
Oh, my ferrets are all *so* badly behaved.  But fortunately, the guest in
this particular story didnt care...

We had houseguests last night who'd never been over before.  The woman had
been meandering about upstairs before i got home, staring at Potpie and
poking her fingers into her cage and calling her companion over to see the
'neat ferret.' Whatever.  Potpie, of course, was absolutely outraged.  It's
an obvious rule in our house - since Potpie has to remain caged most of the
day, you dont poke at her, you dont wake her up, and above all, when she's
awake, you DONT 'taunt' her by standing in front of her cage and then not
let her out.  She respects your toes and hands if you are respectful of her
space.  :) Anyway, the woman asked to see my other ferrets, so I took her
downstairs to meet Noodle, Friday, and Easel.

They were *horrible*, but entertainingly so.  They kept trying to go up her
pants leg, climb her sweater back to get to her hair, climb IN her sweater
to snuffle around, and climb the front of her sweater (Easel to get to ears,
Friday to get to nose).  I would've been helpless with laughter if i hadnt
kept having to pull curious, stubborn ferrets off the poor woman, who
withstood the assault very well.  She was extremely curious (and brave) and
didnt seem put off by their smell or their boldness, which was reassuring.
I have long-time friends who still prefer to stay well away from those
three...Noodle, charmer that he is, nipped her wrist in his special way that
means he's testing the dominance of some new person.  Easel and Friday just
took advantage of the fact that the woman had no clue how to handle ferrets.
They'd all three launch an assault and i'd be laughing and apologizing and
scooping them up while the poor lady tried to drink her tea.  Of course, the
guest seemed to *love* them, as obnoxious as they were.  I had to drag her
out of there when it became apparent that they were going to start launching
themselves at her in an attempt to lure her into playing.

So, i dragged her back upstairs and let Potpie out, who was as mad as a wasp
in a bonnet, which meant i pretty much had to hold Potpie until they left.
She tried to nip the guest's hands, ran around the kitchen biting *my* shoes
and hissing, and viciously attacked the kitten whenever possible.  Hiss,
hiss, hiss.  Little vixen.  Nonetheless, i swear that she was won over by
*some* aspect of them.  Buh.  I'm at a loss to figure out which aspect.  :)

There will be a bunch of guests over for thanksgiving, and i'll be gone.  I
guess i know who *i'm* locking away out of sight for the day.  :)

Melissa

      Melissa Litwicki                              "Is it ... atomic?"
      [log in to unmask]                             "Yes! VERY atomic!"