From:
Tracy Kilmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:34:37 EST
Edward, here is some answers for you!!!

>And speaking of stumbling willy-nilly into a minefield of trouble, for
>Tracy over in Spokane, let me please suggest that what you are doing,
>along with the good-hearted people of the Washington Ferret Ass'n who
>drive over to help you distribute some of these 49 or 50 ferrets given up
>by an Oregoner (Who is it, by the way?)

* This was a transaction done through the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network,
All of these ferrets have been housed in shelters for extended periods of
time there for we can be assured that they are in all effects non
contagious.  Many of them were seen by there vet and are fine.

>So, just let me suggest please, without a modicum of rancor or blame of
>any kind, please, please consider restraining the willy-nilly distribution
>of these many ferrets until and after they have all been thoroughly
>examined by a ferret vet who will issue a health certificate for each and
>every one of these ferrets.  I know that you'd be absolutely devastated
>and horribly ashamed if you were the person responsible for disseminating
>disease unintentionally.

* On this I have a return question for you!  Do you take every ferret you
get to the vet. before placing them?  My guess is NO!!!!

>And on another tack, how in the world are you going to take adequate care
>of Mr. Mink when you have all these Oregon ferrets to shelter?

* I have to say Ed I am sure my animals are in better care then yours,
according to at an estimate 20 people who have seen both of our places.  At
this point I have held Mr. Baloo (blue) for times up to 10 mins, he has
also got to come out to play now for 3 sessions of play that were 2 hrs
long.  Does your mink get this privilege?  on top of that my Mink is fed an
above excellent diet which includes mazuri ferret food @$25 a bag, Mazuri
exotic feline @$30 a bag, Zupreem exotic feline @$32 for a case and raw
chicken every other day which are raised by a friend and I butcher myself
and fish every so often.  This diet was given to me by two different mink
farms as the Ideal diet if it could be afforded.

>And for goodness sake, please be so very, very careful with volunteer help
>around Mr. Mink.  You know, one bite and he may have to be killed for a
>brain tissue sample, and/or you may be party to a serious lawsuit if a
>shelter volunteer should die of rabies or some other mink-bite inflicted
>disease.  Such an event could cause the local authorities to take a long,
>serious look at what you got going on over there and may attempt action
>against you that could be devastating, both morally and financially.

* and as for this I work very closely with our ASPCA and our Humane
Society.  As a humane society employee for 5 yrs this is how my rescue got
started.  I have Also contacted our local ASPCA and asked what it is that I
should do for in the caring and possession of my mink BEFORE he came home
to mommy!  As Officer Williams told me- " We look to you for advice on all
issues concerning ferrets and trust what ever you do to be in the best
interest of the animal and all animals and people who are around him." "
but please do not release the animal to anyone else for adoption or
anything else."

At that I would also like to add that through them and through the humane
society they have sent me raccoons, skunks, mink and many bird's of prey
to rehab for them!

I also get on almost a monthly basis surprise visits to see all the
critters @ my request when I started the rescue and everytime I am told
"How do you do it your place is better then ours and we have a paid staff."
So in that I can say I will not have any problems with our animal control
agencies, No one is allowed to go in his cage except me and when people
are over I stand in front of his cages which has a neoprene cover put on
it when visitors are here, so no fingers can get put into the cage by
visitors.

I have ran my shelter for 9 yrs now running on how things are done at our
ASPCA and our Humane Society.  I have never had one complaint about my
animals and there care or on my procedures here at the shelter I have only
2 regular volunteers that only come when I ask for help and they have both
been bit by ferrets before and continue to come and help and have not sued
me..  I hope this answers some of your questions.

Tracy Kilmer
Ferret Rescue Of Spokane
PS: Ed this will be my last post to you, Remember to think befor you speak!