Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:16:51 EDT
PETITION TALLY

Hello everyone,

We just did a count on the signatures we have and the tally stands
currently at approximately 10,000.  I've been disappointed with the numbers
of people sending them in so far.  Less than 50 different people so far
have sent in petitions, and I know there are more of you out there that
care about this issue!!!!  (I am including 1,400 that two hard working
people have collected in northern California but have not yet mailed).

Think of it this way, we need just 500 of you to take the time to collect
100 signatures each to reach our goal of 50,000 signatures.  I know you
are all busy, but these signatures will be the key to our bill's success
or failure.  How would you feel if you don't collect those signatures only
to find that, after 8 long years, our bill finally gets to the Governor
and he vetoes it!

Come on folks, just 100 signatures is all we ask.  That's 5 pages per
person.  Some of our 50 people have sent in hundreds in separate mailings.
Clearly there are some very dedicated people out there working hard for
this.  Don't let them, me and yourselves down by not doing your part!  Go
to our website at www.ferretnews.org and download Adobe Acrobat if you
don't have the program.  You can then download our petition and print as
many copies as you like.  If you have trouble downloading the petition
from our site, e-mail me at [log in to unmask] and let me know where to
mail you a copy of the petition.

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUGUST 15th

The legislative year is very fluid and when a bill gets to the Governor's
desk is very hard to pin down.  When we designed these petitions and set
the August 1st deadline, it was early in the legislative year and the date
was considered the latest, but safest date to set.  There was no point in
risking a date that might be too late because once the Governor acts,
delivering him a bunch of petitions would be like shutting the barn doors
after the horses have left.

It looks like budget disagreements might delay the Legislature's summer
recess and the progress of our bill.  So, after consulting our author's
office, we are extending the deadline on the petitions at this point to
August 15th.  New PDF petitions with the August 15th deadline are on the
website currently.  I still strongly recommend that you send me what you
have on or before August 1st in case our bill does clear the legislature by
then.  That way, we'll have in hand most of the petitions and can add them
as they come in.  For folks like Suni and Scott that have a large number of
petitions (1,400, terrific work!!), it's a good idea to send those via Fed
Ex or UPS or something safe and trackable.  I also recommend sending what
you have now rather than everything in one mailing-- just an idea.

IDEAS FOR COLLECTING SIGNATURES

This e-mail was sent the other day and I think it's a great idea.  I hope
it inspires you to get out there with those clip boards!!

Dear Ms. Carley,

I have a great "tactic" for getting signatures, and it takes very little
effort.  I put some petition sheets and a poster on a clipboard, and I take
it with me wherever I have to run errands - the grocery store, post office,
car wash, deli, Oil Changers, Starbucks, Macy's, you name it.  It's always
with me and I've collected over 3 sheets in just one week - more than
halfway to my goal of 100 signatures!  It only takes a moment to ask
someone, and most people are willing to sign when you tell them it has
to do with pets.

So, if you truly can't spare a day to sit in front of a pet store and
collect signatures, you don't have to - just have your petition with you
at all times and don't be shy!  Let's all pitch in - 100 signatures per
person is not a lot to ask.  Just think of how great life will be if this
bill passes!

Sincerely,
A ferret friend

Jeanne Carley