From:
Hey Hey Hey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 06:02:13 -0400
Hey All,

I have a pair of rescures that I rescued about 3.5 months ago.  They are
MF boys and are reported to be just 1 year old, altho, I suspect older.
Their names are Blaze ( a deaf blaze) and Noble ( so named because his
former owner called him turd and we just couldnt have that!)  Anyhoo Blaze
is adrenal and we are trying to figure out what is going on with Noble.

Noble is lethargic, walks slowly wherever he goes, sometimes whimpers
when picked up, very seldom plays and is ready to lay down again after 5
minutes of walking around.  When I first got him, he refused to eat so I
contributed some of his behavior to that and shelter shock.

Finaly I got him to eat, but the lethargy did not improve much, nor the
whinning when picked up.  Both the vet and I figured it may have been from
poor nutrition.  Noble has now been eating Totaly Ferret, Eight to One
Premuim Ultra ferret, and the ferret store house brand food.  He also gets
Bob's Chicken Gravy daily, ferretvite and pet tinnic.  Still no change in
behaviour after 2 to 3 months on this diet.

Back to the vet, Noble has a VERY enlarged spleen.  I wrote to you all
about this before.  We scheduled him for blood work and possible exray's.
Blood sugar was 50 with a full belly of food.  Vet put Noble on 1cc of
prednisone once daily and come back in 1 week to do a fasting and non
fasting blood check.  Yesterday we did the tests.  After 1 week of
prednisone, fasting sugar level was 51.  Noble ate and two hours later
the level was 57.  These levels are not acceptable!!  However, the good
news is that his spleen is back down to normal size.  The vet increased
the prednisone to 2 cc's per day.  One in the am and one in the pm.

Has anyone had this set of symptoms before?  Any ideas?  Poop, food and
water intake are all normal.  He is just a very old acting ferret!  No
wardancing, running, leaping etc with low blood sugar values.  He is
loving and patient.

Fuzzy Blessings,
Karen