From:
Shawna-Lynn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:32:22 -0400
It was with a little bit of surprise that I read complaints about people
asking for money on the FML.  People who ask for money are usually in
emergency situations, where they desperately need help.  I don't think
anyone takes advantage of our fellow FML-ers' generosity.  I'd bet that no
one just asks for money whenever it would come in handy-- they only ask if
it is a dire necessity for their ferts.  After all-- why are we here?  To
talk about ferrets, yes, but also to support each other when necessary.  If
a shelter mom (or other) really needs help, and there are people who can
afford to give it to them, why is that wrong?  I don't mean to be rude, but
if you don't like reading those requests for help, you can skip them.
Basically, as long as it doesn't get done too often (and I don't think
anyone does), I don't think it's such a bad thing.  Why shouldn't we help
our fellow ferret lovers when they are in need?

[Moderator's note: My position is that it can get out of hand, but can
certainly be a useful tool too.  It's a difficult call to make: I've been
very impressed with the way the subscribers have rallied to help a couple
of rather difficult cases lately and I certainly am glad we were all able
to help either with cash, with services or in spirit.  I have no problem
with that.

At the same time a few things have come to my attention that I won't get
into here, but suffice it to say that no good deed goes unpunished.  There
are many shelters who also desperately need supplies but who prefer not to
"advertise" here and there are one or two who would be simply devastated if
someone else tried to "help" by asking for donations without permission.

I'm hoping that the FML will continue to be used to help ferrets in need of
immediate attention.  I don't really see it as a vehicle to continually ask
for donations for day to day funding of the dozens of shelters out there.
And I may have to screen requests just a little more carefully.  Not because
I think anyone is being dishonest, but for the reasons stated above.  BIG]