From:
Debbie and Bill Van de Water <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 22:26:09 -0400
We would greatly appreciate anyones help with the following medical problem:

Patient: Rudy, albino neutered, male  ferret, approximately 3.5 lbs. Born
approximately 9/93.

Rudy has had the following chronic condition with intermittent symptoms for
almost 3 years.

May 1993: Symptoms started with sudden onset of bloody, currant jelly like
diarrhea , and total cessation of eating and drinking.  Rudy was very
lerthargic, he would not move voluntarily, or eat any food or drink water.
He was taken to vet in NJ.  A standard x-ray showed no obstruction and
minimal thickening of colon wall.  He was given Enteromycin powder and was
force fed clincare feline liquid diet.  Rudy began retching and vomiting and
was taken to another vet in PA.  Rudy was given barium swallow ,which showed
no obstruction.  Stool test found roundworms.  Symptoms of golden, seedy
diarrhea, vomiting and anorexia continued.  In June, he was taken to a
different vet in PA, Blood tests were done to rule out Lymphosarcoma.
Results were only non -specific elevated liver enzymes and increased
eosinophils.  Possible diagnosis was gastric ulcers or eosinophilic
enteritis.  We were told that the only way to get a definite diagnosis was
exploratory surgery, which we declined.  Rudy was treated with Flagyl,
Chloramphencol and pepto bismol for 3 weeks.

We  continued for several  weeks to force feed rudy  Clinicare feline liquid
diet and  Iams kitten food which had been ground in a food processor and
mixed with warm water and a little Nutrical.

In July 1993, the original NJ vet Prescribed Prednisone.  The vet used a
culture stick to swab the rectum and the result was large amount of
eosinophils.  Rudy slowly began to recover, to the same status he is today.

Rudy has been taking  prednisolone syrup, 1 mg  every other day for almost
three years.

Fortunately, Rudy s more severe symptoms form May - July 1993 have not
returned.

However, less severe, but still obvious symptoms seem to be in remission for
4 to 5 weeks, then he begins to get the golden seedy stool, or sometimes
very small pea sized dark brown stools, retching, lethargy and anorexia,
When he feels good, his diet consists of the ground Iams dry food mixed with
warm water with a few drops of vegetable oil, raisins and about 3 ounces a
day of the clinicare, which he loves.  Rudy plays like any other ferret when
he feels good.  When he has an exacerbation of symptoms, he has to be force
fed the food and the clinicare.  Rudy has not eaten dry food without the
water or oil in it since he got sick almost three years ago, When we try to
slowly lower his dose of Prednisolone his symptoms return quickly.  We give
him a higher dose, about 2 mg daily for a few days and he recovers.

If anyone has a related experience with a ferret, we would be most
interested in hearing the background, treatment and results.  Once concern
we do have is getting him off of the prednisolone after taking it for nearly
3 years.

One final note, we've had 3 other ferrets in the house and no one else came
down with the same condition.

Please feel free to forward this letter on to other interested ferret owners
or veterinarians.

                               Debbie and Bill Van de Water