From:
Henry Rohowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:46:07 +0800
The internet makes the world a very small place, and, although I very
rarely post publicly to the FML, I have noticed within the past fortnight
there have been several postings relating to the Western Australian
Ferret & Ferreting Society (WAFFS), and, with your permission, I would
like to address some of those issues for the information of those who
may have been misinformed.

When referring to conditions such as adrenal diseases and insulinomas in
Australia, only cases which have been positively diagnosed by a vet or
pathologist ought to be included in statistics.  Whilst it seems to be
very easy for anyone to look at a bald ferret and think or diagnose
"adrenal" or a spaced out, lumpy or weak-legged ferret and think or
diagnose "insulinoma" this, in Western Australia at least, is MOST OFTEN
found not to be the case when investigated by a ferret-knowledgeable vet
utilising correct scientific procedures.  Wherever possible in the case
of a deceased ferret, copies of the post-mortems are acquired by WAFFS
committee and this data, along with details of health issues from members
and Vets help to centralise the dissemination of knowledge of ferret
health.

(There are many ferret-knowledgeable or, as we call them, ferret-friendly
Vets in Western Australia and, although many of them may not be known to
committee members personally, our members keep us constantly up-dated
with their favourite Vet so we are able to refer other ferret owners to
the one closest to their suburb).

With regard to ferret vaccinations, *there has not been a single
distemper vaccine available in Australia for approximately ten years now*
and it was as the result of this non-availability that we had to cast
around for the best alternative.  Websters C3 vaccine was our chosen
alternative that long ago and in the ten years since past we have never
had cause to regret our choice.  Recently noises were made within
Australia as to whether a "ferret vaccine" should be imported from the
USA.  However based upon our excellent results and the number of ferrets
involved in our vaccination days alone, and with due consideration given
to the adverse effects encountered from, for instance, Fervac, Fort Dodge
Pharmaceuticals (previously Websters) decided they would continue to
supply C3 and would not import.  As for our group vaccination days
causing "stress" to our beloved fur babies, I would dearly love to be
that stressed. : - )

Finally, the WAFFS Ferret Rescue operates state-wide with the full
co-operation of local vets, council rangers, the RSPCA, club members and
members of the public and does work closely with the co-ordinator of a
second rescue service, in which way we all avoid ferrets "falling through
the cracks".  The WAFFS Rescue team and the Rescue Co-ordinator operate
under the scrutiny of the whole committee and ferret breeders are never
chosen to be members of the rescue team as a conflict of interest could
be perceived.  With the housing of rescued and/or relinquished ferrets
being spread among our many members, the ferrets are kept in loving homes
until either being reunited with their owners or being adopted out.  It
is not a requirement of this Club that you must be a member in order to
own a ferret, and we will do all we can to provide the necessary
knowledge to prospective ferret owners prior to them getting their own,
but it is definitely a requirement that you must be a member in order to
adopt one of our RESCUE FERRETS as, in that way we are able to "keep an
eye on them" so to speak.  Because of the efficient way in which the
rescue service operates and thanks to the generosity of all our members,
a "Shelter" is not used or indeed required in W.A.  The WAFFS Ferret
Rescue Service has operated this way for the past nine years and with
the (literally) hundreds of ferrets which have come into the system only
three have required veterinary bills to be paid by our Society.

Our Club is by no means perfect, and it certainly is hard to call back
people who do not leave a message on the answering machine, but our
Rescue Service has a rotation number which is monitored 24/7/365 and it
would be very rare indeed for those calls to be missed.

Having only been involved with ferrets for14 years and with WAFFS for the
past 10, I have certainly met some rough and ready characters, thankfully
it has not yet been my misfortune to meet a ferret owner who would "bang
their ferret on the head and bury it in the back garden" and for that I
am truly grateful.

Regards

Dianne Rohowicz
President
Western Australian Ferret & Ferreting Society Inc.