Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:39:45 -0800
Hello everyone , happy holidays to all two and four legged critters.

I was wondering if anyone had tried canned cat food.  There is a brand
that is just meat and meat aspic.  Can't recall the name but I remember
feeding it to our very picky cat who would eat nothing but duck in aspic.
the food comes in a flat plastic container w/ a foil lid.  It was just
cooked duck , not extruded meal but real meat .  I was thinking about
trying this with the ferrets.

BTW, has anyone every tried to domesticate other mustilades??  martins ,
short or long tailed weasels, minks or otters?  no I'm not thinking about
obtaining them but am curious.  I'd like to hear about any stories.

another thought that went through my mind (a short trip) was about the
black footed ferrets .  I know one of the problems they are having with
the breeding stock is that they don't have a great genetic pool as there
are so few left.  Have they put any thought into adding common polecat
genes to the pool?  I know this would not be a scientifically "whole"
species but it would infuse some more stronger genes into the lot.

It reminds me of the story of the shar PEI, once a common dog in china
but Mao Sa tong (ok spell check) didn't see the need to be feeding pets
when other Chinese people are dying of starvation.  An enterprising
doctor took 40 pure breeds to Hong Kong where he reinforced the genetic
pool with mastiffs, and other like breeds.  the result is a strong
lineage.

well all in all it's good to be back .

Mark J. Bethke