From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:18:42 EDT
I was going to keep out of this, but I have to step in.  I'm almost
positive I know who Anon is, and this person has a LOT of show
experience, and is very, very concerned about the welfare and health
of ferrets.  They, like many others including myself stopped going to
LOS shows because we were disappointed with the care being taken in
preventing health issues.

I judged at a couple of LOS National shows that had deplorable hygiene
standards.  Disinfectant in baby wipes, don't think so.  The judges
opened the sealed packages of wipes that morning at the show, and NOTHING
was added to them.  I had brought my own which were treated with Odoban,
Synphenol, and Bitter Apple to decrease the risk of bites.  But the rest
of them, don't let anyone kid you.  In fact one show I judged at there
weren't even boxes of wipes.  We were given packets of those types of
wipes you get at a rib place.

Also, when I was involved with the LOS organization, I several times
asked to see the fiancial books, there were none.  In fact Rose Smith
told me that the books were "the checkbook." Unless something has
changed, LOS is not a non-profit organization as recognized by the IRS.
The numbers of ferrets they claim to rescue every year are subject to
question.  How many of those are their retired breeders?  It used to be
quite a few.  No books, no records, and what shelters actually benefit
from their shows?

I got disgusted and walked away after dealing with several other debacles
concerning that organization about five years ago, and I didn't look
back.

I was there.  I saw it happen.  It's the truth.

I stopped going to ALL shows about five years ago, it wasn't worth
the risk of exposing my ferrets to disease.  I much prefer to attend
educational type of events where I can learn, socialize with other ferret
people, and keep my ferrets healthy.  I know there are many like me out
there.

Anne Ryan
FORMER President, LOS NJ (And glad to no longer wear that title)