From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:38:45 -0400
>From:    Joe Dineen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Starting shelter in MA
>I am starting a new shelter in MA.  I need a little help from any one who
>wants to give it.If any on know any one whom is giving up a ferret let me
>know I'll find it a good home.

I strongly urge you to contact Fran Wiles (AFA shelter committee char)
mailto:[log in to unmask] who has written up shelter guidelines based on
the Federal Animal Welfare Act that unfortunately "forgot" ferrets.  The AFA
has a nominal charge to cover the costs of printing.  I don't remember the
amount.  There a several good ferret folks in Massachusetts that I'm sure
will help as well (and will likely reach you directly).

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Pine Fresh Concern

Don't panic about the Pine Fresh.  It is not as good as woodstove pellets
that act the same way but are made out of hardwoods but being compressed
pellets they do not have as much of the aromatic oils.  There is far less
exposed surface area compared to chips.  The pressure treatment making the
pellet forced much of the oil out already.  Its also used as a litter not a
bedding so the ferrets are not "sleeping" in the litter box (as much).  We
use the woodstove pellets primarily but use the Pine Fresh brand in special
circumstances like travel.  They cut the odor a bit more and come in the
nice small bags that pack better than containers with wood stove pellets.
The hardwoods are better but the Pine Fresh is not the serious problem that
wood chips as bedding is.  There is a risk assessment type of thing here.
Much more risk from chips than from pellets.  Best is non-pine, worst is
wood chips, Pine Fresh is in-between.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/