From:
Holly Park Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:45:01 -0800
I was so inspired by all of you who wrote in, describing the joys of washing
your ferrets in the bathtub or shower--how it's enjoyable and reassuring for
the little guys.  .  .so I thought I'd try it with Emmett.

Filled the tub with nice warm water and climbed in with him.

He was afraid of the shower, because of the noise--so I turned it off.

He was afraid of the faucet running, also, so I turned it off.

He didn't want to play with the toys ("Look, Em, a floating shampoo bottle!")
but preferred trying to climb up me (good thing I'd just clipped his claws!)

I could see this wasn't going to work out, so I got out, and Em tried to
climb up and out by way of the shower curtain.

When that didn't work, he looked up at me as I was dressing, and pooped in
the bath water.

"It's rubber hoses for you, guy!" I told him, and whisked him to the usual
bath place--the double sink with plastic dish pan on one side and rubber
shower spray hose on the other.  Meek as a little lamb, he took his regular
bath peacefully and seemed happy to be out of the tub!

I am happy for all of you who are able to have a pleasurable experience with
the big tub or shower (well, okay, I'm a tad envious--it sounds like such a
nice human-ferret bonding-experience and playtime).  .  .but for those of
you who tried it and failed--well, don't be discouraged!

Kate and Emmett