From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:29:56 -0400
>He said that he is aware of a new drug therapy but it is very expensive
>($300 per dose and a dose needed every 4 to 6 weeks).  Is anyone aware of
>a more reasonably priced drug therapy for the adrenal gland disease?  He
>is against doing surgery on the right side.  My other concern was the
>condition of her skin- dry with a rash on her lower back and he suggested
>that I use bag balm or A&D ointment to improve the condition of her skin.
>I am also giving her chicken dinner baby food daily in addition to dry
>food in an effort to put weight on her- she only weighs 1.2 lbs. as of
>today.  The vet suggests that Iams kitten food is the best food he has
>seen for ferrets.

Well, I use Lupron injections and it's nowhere near $300 a dose.  Have
your vet contact Professional Arts Pharmacy (1-800-832-9285) for
information on individual doses of Lupron.  Check out the archives of
this list for lots of information on this disease, as well as Dr. Williams'
site, among others.

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/
Bruce Williams' main site - Pathology of the Ferret

Also consider cryosurgery.

The quality of the skin is almost certainly directly related to the
adrenal disease, and the best way to treat the skin is to treat the
adrenal disease.

Iams kitten food is a decent food - but it is made for kittens.  My
ferrets eat Totally Ferret.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.