From:
John and Diane Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:10:47 -0500
I just wanted to offer a resource to anyone who requests it.  When Maryland
succeeded in getting ferrets treated like dogs and cats in our law and regs,
the state folks had a conniption when they realized that inserting the word
"ferret" in the language meant that ferrets must be included, by law, in the
bi-annual rabies clinics held for dogs and cats.  Many counties had never
treated ferrets, hadn't seen one in the animal control system, and if they
had, they had just killed it and kept on truckin'.  We were very concerned
that the first clinics where ferrets might be brought would result in inept
handling, bites, and off we'd be going again with bad PR.  So, we wrote a
comprehensive handout explaining how to handle ferrets at vaccination time,
and specifically dealing with ferrets in a clinic situation.  We also sent
handlers to the clinics if counties requested this, to train the county
staffs.

Most of you will not be at that point yet but I will be glad to send this to
you (with an SASE )from our group - it will really make you look good to the
state people, and remember -they-re not the enemy anymore, they're in this
with us now!  My address is 2306 Pickwick Rd.  Baltimore MD 21207.  By the
way, hope to see all of you at our 4/4 Save our Shelters Show here in
Mobtown (Baltimore)!

Happy vaccinating!

Diane Rogers
Maryland Coalition for Rational Rabies Policies

--
 John and Diane Rogers - Baltimore Ferret Club
 http://baltoferret.com/bfc