From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:00:55 -0500
Amy, although ferrets, dogs and cats are raw meat eaters they DO acquire
mycobacterium, E. coli, and Salmonella from raw meat.  Probably most
don't get those; probably most who do fight them off, BUT the compromised
ones can get infections which greatly complicate their care.  Vets
repeatedly talk about such animals they have treated.  It seems to be
one of the situations in which there isn't a huge amount published but a
number of clinicians and pathologists (like the three or four quoted the
other day) say a whopping, 'Oh, YEAH.  We have run into that in practice
and it isn't fun."

Clarification below:  BETTER control, not been control...  Sigh...

>So is "syringe" feeding because of the very real risk of aspiration
>pneumonia if it is done wrong.  BTW, we have found that there are other
>things which give been control on that score (Hence, "syringe" with
>quotes...) with our own favorite being this:
>
> http://www.apothecaryproducts.com/catalogue/product.asp?
> CatID=1&SubCatID=14&ProdID=67032
>due to EXCELLENT control, easy fill, easy clean, etc.

And, no, we don't own any shares in the company and don't sell for them.
Our only communication was years ago when we bought two bulk lots (almost
all gone now) for shelters, young relatives who were popping out loads of
babies, and ourselves for the ferrets.