Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 16:34:05 -0400
Hi all.

>does anyone have any information on IBD online i can referr her to?

There should be information in the archives on the FHL.  I have posted
there myself regarding my experiences with IBD.  To be properly diagnosed,
the intestines must be biopsied (as far as I know).  If it is IBD, there
are medications that can control it including, Tylan, Pediapred, and
Imuran.  The ferret needs to see a vet in order to get the proper doses
of them.  Outside of that, the ferret should probably be put on a
easily-digested diet like Gerbers chicken baby food.  Honestly, the best
course of action is that which your friend is unwilling to take: getting
the ferret to a vet.

>Our vet feels that doing the surgery really doesn't buy much additional
>time and that when the time comes to start giving her prednisone, and
>then possibly later on the addition of another medicine along with it.
>His opinion is that often there are many little nodules (tumors?) on the
>pancreas that cause the condition and that even with surgery they often
>reappear.

All of the above may be true.  Surgery may not buy any more time than
meds, BUT (and this is a big BUT) I think it is buying better QUALITY
time.  Others may have had different experiences than myself.

Pixie had her first surgery in October 2001.  She was diagnosed with IBD
and had 15% of her pancreas removed (insulinoma) and her left adrenal
gland removed.  We were told at the time that she would likely need
surgery again for the insulinoma within another year or so.  She had
surgery again this past April (that's only 6 months from the last surgery)
-- another 15% of her pancreas removed and her right adrenal gland
removed.  She wasn't showing any outward signs that anything was really
wrong -- I was going on a feeling I had.  Now that we've gotten her
electrolytes in check (due to both adrenal glands removed), she's running
around like she hasn't in a long time.  She seems to have gone back in
time.  She never has had to suffer from seizures.  She's not on medication
for insulinoma.  I'm not worried at all about a seizing ferret -- yet.  I
realize that there will come a time that I will have a seizing ferret
because she is no longer a surgical candidate, but I'm going to do my best
to put that off.  As long as she's healthy and active, we'll go the route
of surgery.  I want to believe that I bought her some quality time here on
earth.  And now that I think about it, I think I also bought her quantity
too.  I've been very lucky in being able to catch all of the diseases my
ferrets have had early.  It makes a big difference, I think, in the
outcome.  Some ferrets don't show any symptoms at all until the pancreas
is virtually filled with tumors or nodules.  And unfortunately, it is
only possible to remove 50% (I think that's the number) of the pancreas
at one time.  So, if more than 50% is affected, then there will be nodules
left behind.  Then medication is your only option left.

Basically, I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm hoping that
my experiences may help in some way.

Suzanna