From:
Bryan Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:39:26 CST
There has been an ongoing debate about shelters that charge money and
(according to some) are rolling in money.  This debate also encompasses
private breeders that charge $150 to $400 for a fuzzie.

The first part of this is not ferret related..  but bear with me..  I will
get there very soon.  This just provides some background.

Though I am neither a breeder or a shelter, I wish to share a story with all
who read this.  Many years ago when I was about five years old (20 years ago
then, since I am 25) my parents and I raised purebred Siamese Seal Point
kittens.  We did so out of the joy the animals brought us, and the joy we
knew they could bring to others.

We charged around 25 dollars per kitten, but kept STRICT control as to where
the kittens went..  we always selected good homes.  One day, my mother
received a very brutally nasty phone call from another local breeder.  This
breeder sold her kittens for $1,000 and was verbally abusing my mother for
"Taking the bread from her children's mouth".

My mother replied in a happy and cheerful voice, "You should not EVER breed
an animal for money.  We only breed them for love, and we want to share that
love of cats with everyone.  We will continue to breed our cats despite your
rather odious comments."

Now, here is the point of the above ramblings... I have seen both the
shelter owners and the breeders on this list display the same kind of love
and affection.  My mother certainly lost money on the proposition, because I
GUARANTEE that we spent way more than 25 dollars a kitten for medical care,
care for the mama cat, and all associated expenses.  The shelters here, they
face the same situation except on a MUCH larger scale.  Tle has..  what..
60 plus fuzzies last I heard?  We have SEEN the numbers of ferrets listed in
the monthly updates!  How can anyone begrudge them the adoption fee?  It was
like what my mother did..  you charge some fee for each kitten or fuzzie, to
make sure the adopting family will value them even more and to offset the
costs slightly.

Bill Killian of Zenferrets has stated in the past that he lines up new
owners for ferret kits well before the breeding occurs.  It seems to me that
he, like my mother, breeds the ferrets out of love rather than a desire for
profit.

The shelters operate on a MUCH larger scale..  and their costs are
commensurately larger.  How anyone can believe that these folks MAKE money
is beyond me.  I would wager that Mr. Killian (and PLEASE correct me if I am
wrong) does not make a profit on his ferrets.  I can also almost guarantee
that his shelter does not make money either.

To those that felt that the shelters were rolling in money..  ask yourselves
this.  How is it possible for a shelter to make money?  These people take a
beaten and abused fuzzie, pay for the medical costs which can run several
hundred dollars, and give a lot of TLC to the poor baby.  Eventually, the
TLC heals the fuzzie's wounds, and he/she is now ready to be adopted out.
If a shelter were to MAKE money, the adoption fee would be $500 plus!

I realise that since I am neither a breeder nor a shelter, that I really
have no place in this discussion.  But perhaps it can be forgiven just this
once, as for a while, I had (albeit a VERY small part) a place in a related
area.  That, and I have nothing but respect for the breeders and the
shelters on this list, and wanted to offer some words of support (even if
they WERE rambling....)

    ---Bryan Hall