From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:38:47 -0500
Dr. Williams,

*WOW* thanks so much for all your thoughts here!  Sonic was indeed
originally on both proglycem (diazoxide) and pred.  We stopped the
diazoxide completely once the trace ketones showed up, and and that point
we stepped up efforts to wean her off of the pred a bit more quickly than
we originally were doing.  I'm watching her like a hawk and dipsticking
urine every chance I get and checking blood sugar nearly ever day (still
in the 300's)... I really hope that by some miracle her blood sugar will
come into a normal range without insulin... But we will have to start
insulin if her ketones go up or if we get her totally off pred and still
have really high blood sugar.  She is doing OK and enjoying all the
pampering.

And I am deeply moved that you would look at her pancreas if she doesn't
make it... It's been very hard for me to think about it, but I had already
decided that if she died before your offer for eyes of blind ferrets
expired, then they would go to you.  Your work is invaluable to the future
medical possibilities of these guys, *especially* since you make what you
find so freely available.  You are a rare find: one who is tops in your
field and also so accessible.  Thank you!

Best wishes to all,
-Pam S.