From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:45:39 -0500
>US is for, but my question is: are many ferret vets willing to do
>surgery inside the thorax?  It would seem like a pretty touchy
>proceedure on such a small animal. What can you tell me about this?

Dear X - Most general practitioners will refer a thoracic case due to the
intricacies of anesthesia and the requirement for assisted ventilation.
When you open the thorax, the lungs collapse, and a machine or a good tech
needs to "breathe" for the animal.  There is a trick to closing the thorax
as well, to make sure that the lungs stay inflated, and post-operative
follow-up is important to ensure that all stray air is removed from the
chest, so that the lungs do not collapse as well.

We haven't even mentioned the small size of the ferret thorax and
difficulty working in there.

It can be done, but usually only at a specialty surgical clinic or
veterinary school.  However, if it is a tumor, the chance of recurrence
is good due to the difficulty in complete excision.  You would have to
think long and hard in pursuing this option in any 8- year-old.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM