From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:36:53 -0500
I agree that it MIGHT turn out that the parts of a diet that the ferret
can NOT utilize (and that includes complex starches which have NOT been
extremely processed or cooked at high heats which might make them too
easily digested for optimal ferret health) MAY be as important to giving
optimal ferret health, longevity, or both as the nutrients in those
foods.  Many aspects of this hypothesis have been made by Linda, Roger,
Wolfy, Betty, and a number of others including myself, and now by Bob,
too, as of yesterday.

IF this turns out to be the case -- even if it turns out that the
more processed starches don't pose any health threats after studies are
done -- then that lack or reduction of indigestible fiber is something
which should be correctable with modified manufacturing routines (just
as high temp cooking can be modified if the products of that turn out
to have carcinogenic aspects for ferrets as they do for rodents).

I agree that IF these things pan out in studies then the "lower quality"
foods may have had strengths that none of us used to know about, and
that the better balanced ferret foods can be modified to have more of an
indigestible fiber content.  Such a content also would reduce any hunger
and the human worries about it while helping prevent obesity, a serious
health problem which does tend to exist in tandem with low levels of
exercise for too many ferrets.  (Although folks should know that a number
of the effects of over-weight in humans can be offset by good levels of
exercise -- something I use myself -- and that may well be worth
considering for ferrets, too.)

The dross may be as important and the nutrient rich part of a diet.
Certainly in the wild dross did and does make a large portion of diet of
everything, and that includes pre-agricultural humans.  Perhaps the best
health food for most ferrets (excluding ferrets with specific problems
like IBD or kidney disease that call for modified diets) for essentials
like micronutrients, protein, fat levels, etc.  and satisfaction without
hunger will eventually turn out to be low temp cooked extruded or shaped
(but not high-temp-kibbled) food that is high in protein and high in fat,
has the added micronutrients in good proportions, but also has
indigestible fiber.  Studies and time will tell.

BTW, current kibbled foods are typically cooked at higher temps than
extruded foods...

Note, that since so much of this is hypothetical I have liberally used
qualifiers in this post.