Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:52:44 -0500
Sukie and Debra wrote over the last two FMLs about people's lack of
respect for the bond others can have with their pets--I had a rather
horrid experience on Monday evening when I stopped by the pharmacy to
pick up Amelia's proglycem.  Generally, the pharmacist/cashier gets the
medication, looks at the price, sees there's no insurance, and then asks
me if I know how expensive it is.  When I see his/her eyes start to widen,
I say "Yep, I know how expensive it is, it's not a surprise."  So on
Monday, the cashier expressed sympathy for me having to spend so much on
my medication, especially when it tastes so terrible.  I said it wasn't
for me, it was for my pet ferret who didn't care for the taste all that
much either.  The cashier looked at me and said "Not only do you not kill
it, you spend all this money on it!"

I was dumbfounded to say the least!  I wanted to blow up at her, but I
also felt that obligation to be good ferret PR person.  So I just said she
was a very special ferret to me, and when the woman asked if ferrets were
those animals that tunnel under your yard and raise heaps of dirt or if
they were those animals that climb trees and steal eggs or if ferrets
looked just like rats, I set her straight politely.  But I can tell you
that I was shaking when I left the store!  It's hard enough knowing that
my ferret is slowly dying despite my best efforts to keep her going
without people making such insensitive remarks.  Even if she didn't care
for ferrets (or whatever animal she thought a ferret was), A) she could
have shown a modicum of compassion for another human being's pain and
B) I drop a lot of money there every month and she could have demonstrated
better customer service.  Not that it's about the money, but from their
point of view it probably is.

I'm definitely switching pharmacies and writing this one a letter
explaining why (this incident was a last straw in a generally unacceptable
level of customer service).  Maybe I'm being hypersensitive, but that was
just a horrible thing for her to say.  I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have
said that if the pet were a dog or a cat, and she definitely wouldn't have
said it if Amelia were my child or grandmother.  I still feel sick when I
think about it.

Regina